YFC recipient intro

This forum is for the Youth Flight Canada scholarship recipients. Posts are deleted after 360 days.
Steph Carr
ysa membership #: 373

YFC recipient intro

Post by Steph Carr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:10 pm

My name is Stephanie Carr. I am 23 years old and have been gliding for 6 years and this will be my 2nd season at York as well as my 2nd season as an instructor thanks to York.

I was licenced in 2013 in the air cadets. When I started flying here at York it was a whole new world and much more enjoyable (although cadet gliding is fun too). Being able to do real soaring flights in our higher performance gliders is so beautiful and exciting!

I am eternally grateful to Youth Flight Canada for providing me with a scholarship this year and last year. The scholarship has provided me with accommodations at York to be able to come and immerse myself in the club surrounded by all the friendly members to talk about flying every day. With the YFC I am also able to get plenty of flying hours, lots of which with experienced soaring who have taught me about thermaling and soaring techniques, as well as airmanship and other general aviation skills.

I believe that the work of YFC is extremely important for building a strong base of youth pilots for the present and future of gliding clubs.

My goals for this season are to have longer and longer flights, earn my bronze badge and work on the skills I need to fly cross-country. I hope to learn as much as I can from every flight and from all the other members including the students, who I hope I can help make learning as simple and enjoyable as possible.

Hope everyone has a great season!

-Steph Carr