Commencement of Flying Operations

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Commencement of Flying Operations

Post by Biggles » Thu May 21, 2020 7:28 am

Last night, after much discussion, the Board approved a motion to commence operations on Saturday 30th May.
More information will follow, shortly, regarding additional procedures and restrictions on our operation.

It is up to each member to determine if it is appropriate for them to to come to the field or stay home.

The YSA premises are only open to paid up MEMBERS 2020.

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Re: Commencement of Flying Operations

Post by Biggles » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 am

For individual member to consider before deciding to come to YSA:

In light of what we have learned about COVID-19 through the first 3 months of the pandemic, it is increasingly apparent that the vast majority of infection takes place when 2 people are sharing the same air, closer than 2 meters, and for more than 15 minutes. Transmission from surface contamination appears to be possible, but mostly theoretical. Similarly, transmission outdoors appears to be minimal.

YSA will never be able to guarantee a zero-risk environment for members. The best we can achieve through activities of the board, the club, policies, procedures, and enforcement will be to have a respectful place with minimal risk. Your actual risk of you acquiring the virus at YSA is completely in your own control. Consider your options carefully.

In addition, every pilot needs to be acutely aware of how big a toll the pandemic situation has taken on our brains. The effects of altered routines, heavy emotions, new and intense risk calculations will all have a cost. We will be less able to retrieve knowledge, have situational awareness, or respond quickly.

Recommendations

1. For Zero Risk for COVID: Do not leave your home. This is the best way to avoid becoming infected. Consider this approach seriously if your personal tolerance for becoming infected, or infecting someone else you know, is low. This is a reasonable option.

2. For Minimal Risk for COVID: When at YSA, follow all self-screening, monitoring, and physical distancing guidance (in respect of self and others). Respect every surface as though it is contaminated. Assume that others may not have sanitized surfaces you will touch. Consider your own hands as being dangerous to yourself. They bring germs to your mouth, nose or eyes (but you won’t be infected through the skin of your hands). Note how often you are touching items that many others may have touched (doors, padlocks, dolly handles, glider controls, golf carts, ropes, steering wheels, parachutes, fuel pump, air compressor etc.). Do what you need to in order to ensure that your contaminated hands do not go to your face. Best is to decontaminate your hands after every single touch (sanitizer bottles in workshop and office). Gloves must be used with caution not to touch your face. Consider a pocket size bottle of sanitizer with you at all times; or avoid touching a surface, or using equipment, that may have been touched by someone else within 3 days.

Dale Guenter (SOSA)

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: Commencement of Flying Operations

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 am

I find that the blue of the gloves gives me a visual warning when I bring my hand close to my face. And when I'm wearing a mask, I can't touch my mouth or nose. Similarly, sunglasses will protect your eyes.

We have long had a culture of watching out for each other's safety; let's continue that into this new area of potential risk.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`