Allen Baldwin

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Richard Sawyer

Allen Baldwin

Post by Richard Sawyer » Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 pm

I have just learned that Allen has developed severe dementia.

It was a brief message to this effect, but from what I can gather, this came on relatively rapidly. His wife, Jane, is having a tough time dealing with the situation right now and does not need a flurry of calls to her, however some form of official contact, I suggest from the Board, would be appropriate.

It has been several years since I have seen Allen, and am not sure when he was last at YSA. He used to be a regular and very active member and it is sad to hear of his condition.
Richard Sawyer

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Re: Allen Baldwin

Post by Biggles » Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 am

Sad. A great guy, supported the club over many years in many ways. Soon after my first arrival in Canada, I suffered a 20 minute disappointing visit to the nearest gliding club, I drove up to York and was welcomed wholeheartedly by Allen and Norman as I got out of my car. They were pretty much the reason I chose YSA over the other clubs in the area. Until their move back to Toronto, Allen and Jane were frequent visitors and I wish them both well.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am

The word 'Stalwart' was coined for people like Allen (he prefers Allen to Al, BTW). A real pillar of our operations, and as nice a guy as you would ever meet.

He had a very good life, and this is a sad chapter to hear of. My thoughts to Jane.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Tony Firmin

Post by Tony Firmin » Thu May 21, 2020 11:49 am

'Stalwart' indeed, a tireless contributor in so many ways and a father figure to many of the cadets. I hope Jane has the support she will need.

hugh douglas
ysa membership #: 155

Post by hugh douglas » Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm

This is very sad news, these days are definitely trying times and I seem to be inundated with sad events.I have many fond memories of Allen, a gentleman and a great contributor to the York Soaring. My thoughts are with Jane and that she has the support that she and her family will need.
Hugh Douglas