Covid Fibreglass Gelcoat Refinish

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Covid Fibreglass Gelcoat Refinish

Post by Charles Petersen » Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am

So, with some time available, I set about renewing the oxidized finish on the fibreglass top of my trailer. A decade ago, I had a serious health issue, and neglected the annual waxing of my Cobra, When recovered, I sought advice on restoring the finish or painting it. A long series of calls and emails later, Tim (remember him? "Yeah, whatah you want?") at Wings and Wheels convinced me to buy an expensive dual pad reciprocating buffer called Cyclo. It accomplished in a few hours what was an amazing transformation.

So, with the trailer in 'Long Term Parking', - my driveway, and the Covid lockdown, I again took on the restoration, using the buffer and 3M Marine Buffing Compound, Nu Finish wax (two coats), and a final buff with lambswool pads on the Cyclo.

Fantastic results, and quickly done with reasonable effort. I have posted a link to a photo.

If a York member would like to do such a restore of their own fibreglass, trailer, wings, etc. you can borrow the Cyclo, but buy your own pads (available still on Wings and Wheels).

It so smooth, I can't resist touching it as I pass :)

Here's the link https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoyNtWnsLWKWdfqBA
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

James Kingdon

Re: Covid Fibreglass Gelcoat Refinish

Post by James Kingdon » Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 am

Looks fantastic!

jwlemke
ysa membership #: 315
twitter: jwlemke

Re: Covid Fibreglass Gelcoat Refinish

Post by jwlemke » Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 am

Wow.. amazing recovery after those years