CoVid-19 and Me

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

CoVid-19 and Me

Post by Paul Moggach » Fri May 15, 2020 8:57 am

My first thoughts as the gliding season approached in the CoViD-19 environment were about how to do some flying this year. While I am not an expert, I have several degrees in Science and Biology, have taught and done research in the medical field, and my first full-time job was at the Toronto General Hospital with the MORE transplant program. I know more than the average person about infectious control. As such, my initial reaction is that I could better suggest and practice the proper techniques to make my potential glider flights safe this year.

However the things that nagged at me and I couldn't escape were, that this virus is highly transmissible since asymptomatic carriers are common, we have no effective treatments at this stage, no vaccine, likely more than 80% of the population has no immunity, and there is no easily accessible testing. While all of these things will likely be available my next season, our only effective tool right now is containment. As well, as the primary external interface to the world for my household I find myself making errors in infectious control. Others less expert will likely not know that they even have made a mistake.

So then we get to gliding. The majority of us are over 50, which is a higher risk group. On **my** list of things I 'want' to do versus things I 'need' to do, gliding has moved over to the 'want' side. I have look at the practices and procedures for operating in a CoVid-19 environment that have been produced and shared by SOSA and have no major issues with any of them. The exception is that while as a group we are good at producing things like this, we are not nearly as adept at compliance.

So as a pare down my list of discretionary things I do, the consequence is that for the first time in 39 years, while I am still a club member, I am going to take a pass at flying at my club. If my club makes the decision to operate, I will resign from our board, and as safety officer. Hope to see you all safe and flying next season.

Paul Moggach

James Kingdon

Re: CoVid-19 and Me

Post by James Kingdon » Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am

Sadly, this seems like a very accurate assessment of the current situation. The situation may change, but it seems unlikely to do so quickly enough to save this season.

BTW, I too have a background in the biological sciences and also cringe at the mistakes I make with cross-contamination. Our normal home environments (doorknobs?) combined with a lack of disposable ppe makes it extremely difficult to do things right.