Hangar Talk - May 16 7:00

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Jim Fryett
ysa membership #: 189

Hangar Talk - May 16 7:00

Post by Jim Fryett » Wed May 13, 2020 8:30 pm

The next Hangar Talk is scheduled for Saturday, May 16th at 7pm EDT (23:00Z).

Dave Donaldson, the SAC Safety Officer will present Risk Management in Soaring and Accident Prevention Safety Margins. This will be a new experience for us as one of the topics will be interactive. The two topics together satisfy the Transport Canada (TC) requirements for recency, meaning every pilot who participates will have up-to-date recency. Make sure you log into the Zoom call with your real name. The session for the two topics will take about 2hrs which is the minimum TC sets for recency. If this is too long or TC requires a longer session, we may split the session into two parts.

As with previous events, the meeting will be hosted using ZOOM. The link to join will be the same as for the last meeting:

Join URL: https://conestogac.zoom.us/j/439670538? ... t2YVZmdz09

To join the meeting, simply click on the link. If you have never before used Zoom, it will ask you to download and run an executable file.

The youtube video at the link below gives a brief explanation as to how to join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkCmbvAHQQ

For more details, you can search youtube with "how to join a zoom meeting" for other videos.

You will be able to join the meeting 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled start to test and trouble shoot your equipment and to “mix and mingle”

For the Zoom meeting, by default, all video and all audio feeds from the participants will be set to off when you join. This will allow for a quiet meeting without background noise. During the talk, feel free to unmute yourself to ask a question, and then mute yourself again after you have asked. There is also a text chat feature that allows you to ask questions, but chat questions are harder for the presenter to see in real time.

See you Saturday
Joerg Stieber (JS)

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: Hangar Talk - May 16 7:00

Post by Charles Petersen » Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 pm

7:00 to 9:00 pm Saturday. When do you guys eat dinner? And what does your wife think of that?

Maybe it's just me..
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Jim Fryett
ysa membership #: 189

Post by Jim Fryett » Thu May 14, 2020 8:34 am

David Donaldson provided the following note regarding this Saturday's safety talk. If you are needing TC recurrency, this is an easy way to attend a meeting.

Jim Fryett

from David Donaldson:

Jim, thank you for advertising my session, I'm looking forward to it. FYI, for it to qualify for TC recurrency, it needs to be 3 hours, so, we are doing 2 x 1.5 hour sessions. Second one likely week Saturday.

Fly Safe.

Martin Sanderse
ysa membership #: 78

Post by Martin Sanderse » Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Is there a link for the second part of the meeting?

Never mind - I found it on the CAC site:

https://www.sac.ca/index.php/en/home-al ... sion-forum
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AGL :-)

Keith Laidlaw
ysa membership #: 658

Post by Keith Laidlaw » Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 am

Is there a youtube or podcast of each day?

Keith

John Brake
ysa membership #: 132

Post by John Brake » Mon May 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Keith Laidlaw wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 am
Is there a youtube or podcast of each day?

Keith
No. They expressly forbid recording of the sessions.

David is willing to do the sessions again, at a time to be arranged.
John

jwlemke
ysa membership #: 315
twitter: jwlemke

Post by jwlemke » Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm

I would also be interested. I attended a few of them but I could not do the last two.