DG 500 Status Update

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

DG 500 Status Update

Post by Charles Petersen » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Assisted by YSA members Mark Lightfoot and Mike Collier, and Mike's friend Ken, we rigged the 500 today and stowed it in Shawn's hangar. To do that, we had to assist Shawn to derig his Nimbus 3 X (wings stretched to 26 meters), and it is very clear that you would not want to land this one out. Ever!

But it, and the very good Cobra trailer can be yours for the bargain prised of U$30,000 if you're intrigued.

So, it's ready to fly, and the first flight is a test flight. Shawn and I may take his annual check ride with an instructor, or perhaps Gar will be the first to fly it with Mike next week.

We need to sort out reservations, and THE BOARD POLICY ON THEM. Can one, planning a visit, reserve it exclusively for on's use? Or do we share it with other club members? And if we reserve it exclusively, do we pay a daily fee, whether we fly it or not?

Can we get some policy here, please?
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Re: DG 500 Status Update

Post by Tim Wood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi Charles, I agree totally that we need clear rules regarding the line-up to fly the DG500 at Lake Seminole. Policy is urgently needed. We cant have people buy block time, go all the way down to Florida, then not get enough flying to make the expense and effort worthwhile. As interest in flying the DG500 in Florida broadens, this becomes an urgent issue.
You are missing a miserable early strart to winter
Enjoy the subtropical heat
Cheers, Tim

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm

This has been discussed at the meetings. I will get an official policy released.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am

There are more of us Yorkies in Florida. Next Tuesday, the York Expeditionary Force Southern Station will gather for a dinner to celebrate the start of the season. Guests will include Gar Ingraham, Mark Lightfoot, Mike Collier, and myself, - several of us with our wives.

The weather has been good, - if not great, with yesterday's flight ending in an aluminum thermal 5 miles from home (https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/g ... Id=7639607)

Mark flew Westerly, and his flight lasted longer; he got right to the shore of the Gulf.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Doug Carman
ysa membership #: 437

Post by Doug Carman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 am

Here in Toronto it's -13C, 5 cm snow on the ground, and ski resorts are opening this weekend. Christmas is on the way. An unexpected fast end to soaring in Canada. Thaw and flooding coming soon....

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Seminole is a fantastic setting with a great soaring culture and very friendly, helpful people including our own Charles and Mike. It's cheap to fly down and cheap to stay at the field. The opportunity should really be embraced. The break from the crap weather ain't so bad either. I just got back and will go down 2 more times this winter.

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Each to their own... I prefer skiing in the winter... "wings" get put away and the "boards" come out. Been that way since 1966...