YSA Winter Station

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

YSA Winter Station

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 am

If it's only just started, and you're not a skier, consider a visit to York's winter home-away-from-home, www.soarfl.com, where our DG 500 awaits in an on-field hangar. 30 miles away are the theme parks, or the Fantasy of Flight Museum.

Take a look at this while you ponder your calendar:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ghDkfscCrGUSi1aw8

C'mon down y'all
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

garfieldingram
ysa membership #: 0

Re: YSA Winter Station

Post by garfieldingram » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:43 am

I just got back from Florida where I was able to take a flight in the DG. Mike Collier and I managed to stay up for over an hour due to us finding the one and only thermal in the area. As you can see, it is clear blue but a couple of days later, the sky was filled with fluffy white clouds (when I was at a convention). The runway is basically cut out of the trees so it was a bit unusual to be on downwind and not being able to see the runway. On final, Mike suggested that I move to the right a bit to avoid the tall trees. This was excellent advice- thanks Mike!

Thanks also to all of the guys who got the DG ready and schlepped it all the way down to Florida!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: YSA Winter Station

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Even this close to the winter solstice, there are good days, see: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/g ... Id=7645071

Short days, they are, but note the speed!
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`