A little weather humour

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Tony Firmin

A little weather humour

Post by Tony Firmin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 am

For those that are interested in our weather forecasting I suggest you might enjoy the following from John Oliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGn9T3 ... e=youtu.be

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: A little weather humour

Post by Charles Petersen » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Thanks Tony. That's both very funny and very sad
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Rob McCallum

Post by Rob McCallum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:49 pm

For a deeper insight into weather forecasting, have a listen to Marcus in episode 326 of the omega tau podcast:
"326 – Weather Forecasting at the ECMWF"

Earlier this year I visited the European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, a European organization that produces global weather forecasts and performs research on how to improve those. The episode has three parts. First, Hilda Carr gives us an overview of the organization, its purpose and its history. Then I talk with Peter Bauer about weather and climate modeling and about encoding these models efficiently in software programs that run on supercomputers. Part three is a conversation with Tony McNally about where the ECMWF gets its data and how it is continuously fed into the “running” model.

https://omegataupodcast.net/

Tony Firmin

Post by Tony Firmin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 pm

I agree with Rob this is a far more interesting review of how forecasting is achieved at the premier European agency. It is however 2 hrs long so be prepared to take a nap in the middle.