Thursday flying

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
EBaginski
ysa membership #: 313

Thursday flying

Post by EBaginski » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Will anyone be flying and will there be tow pilots around for Thursday October 10. I was hoping to get down to the club between 13 to 14:00 hrs

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Re: Thursday flying

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm

There are people who have expressed interest. I suspect people will start showing up around 10-11am but I haven't seen a confirmation of a tow pilot.

Alexandre Karmanov
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Alexandre Karmanov » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

I am going be around noon.

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:46 am

Did a tow pilot get organized? 'D -' for communications again. There are people interested in spending money at the club today and probably tomorrow if they knew what was going on.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:47 am

If I'm not mistaken, Alex is a tow pilot
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Not everyone knows that, incl. myself. Did YSK get fixed?

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Well, at a guess, it has suffered from the DI missing underinflation. When landing, the tail wheel is accelerated from zero knots to almost 60 instantaneously, and unless the tube is fully inflated, the tire can rotate more than the sheet, and the valve stem will be wrenched off the tube, making it beyond repair.
So it will need to be replaced, which is not a difficult task, if a spare is available.

Otherwise, fly ZH🙄

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Wayne MacD has been making numerous enquiries all week about flying today and Friday. Unfortunately his only option is YSK. The calls, posts, txts I've been making were on his behalf. He can't log into the forum for some reason. He's eager to get a few more flights in.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm

First question is there a replacement tube in stock? I may have one in my trailer, but I won't probably be there until Sunday

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 pm

My understanding is that if YSK was left at the front in the hangar, Paul L. would look at it this AM. No reports back or other details. Fingers crossed Wayne gets one more go of it as a bunch of us did Tuesday.

Ivor David

Post by Ivor David » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Charles: Alex Karmanov is not a tow pilot. Alex martins is but he has not been around since mid-Aug

Mark: for communication, the system is in place. It is up to the members to use it. If you or anyone else knows of a sure fire way for us to move from a communication "D" to an "A" we would love to know what it is. If we know the day prior who intends being at the field we will know if we can operate or not. It Since I check the answering machine several times a day it would enable me to pass the info on but as it is now I do not know unless I am told. So my default answer to intro's is "weekends only". It all comes down to members's interest. If it isn't there on any particular day, then so be it. Let's face it, there have been days during the season when we have been short of people and this time of the year. as in the spring, it can be a real challenge.

We are short of instructors and tow pilots so have fewer to draw on. We have members in the club who could be instructors or tow pilots but choose not to do so. This increases the chance of us not being able to operate when weather is good. As club members we should all be doing whatever we can to keep the club functioning. Our instructors and tow pilots put in a big effort but life, work, vacations, etc can get in the way and sometimes it just does not work out,
Ivor David