Walter Chmela

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Walter Chmela

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:53 am

In the thread on the Yorkgiving Dinner, U;f wrote:
If you're in the GTA and are going on the 401 across the City, just take a few minutes and get off at Leslie (very close to the DVP/404). Walter is at North York General Hospital, which is on Leslie (East side) just north of the 401. Today I decided to do a cookie-run to North York General Hospital and had a short visit with Walter.

Here are Walter's coordinates according to Mr Google: 43°46'10.3"N 79°21'45.2"W ...
Or 4001 Leslie St, North York, ON M2K 1E1, 5SE (5th floor South East), Room 124, Bed 2 by the window.

Was told by patient information at 416-756-6000 [option 2, then 0] that visiting hours are 11:00 to 20:00. Suggest you verify his room number before heading over in case they move him to a different room.

If you don't want to go through the hospital parking circus, park for free at IKEA on the west side of Leslie St. Duck into IKEA (Swedish cookies are sold at the fast-food concession at the IKEA exit :-) and it is less than a 5 minute walk to the hospital main entrance from the IKEA main entrance. From the hospital's main entrance take the elevator to the 5th floor, hang a left and then take the first corridor on your right to the very end (past the nursing station) to room 124.
I made the journey through the 401 traffic to visit Walter, and Ulf's directions are dead on. But Walter seemed feeble and somewhat confused but delighted to see me. He doesn't know how long he will be there (he has broken ribs from a fall), and he has no idea where he will go. His family are looking for a suitable long-term care facility, but the search is not an easy one.

So, I urge you, if you know Walter, and particularly if you know what a cookie run was, make the time to visit him; it will mean a lot to him.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Ivor David

Re: Walter Chmela

Post by Ivor David » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Walter has been moved to Room 562, same floor - 5th.
Ivor David