Ryerson University UAV Flight Test - Sunday October 6th

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Wayne Hewison
ysa membership #: 32

Ryerson University UAV Flight Test - Sunday October 6th

Post by Wayne Hewison » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Members;

This Sunday October 6th from 9:00am - noon, the Ryerson Aerospace Engineer UAV team will be using our airfield to test a solar powered plane. This project is under development by one of our club members, Professor Goetz Bramesfeld. During this test period there will be NO club related flying activities. For those who have an interest in this type of aviation, I suggest you attend. The plane is launched by hand and the flights are expected to be of short duration. I would love to attend, but I will be away this weekend. If anyone who reads this post is able to attend, please post a few photos.

Best Regards

...Wayne

Tony Firmin

Re: Ryerson University UAV Flight Test - Sunday October 6th

Post by Tony Firmin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 pm

Are they aware we are forecast to have 15-20kt southerly winds and perhaps rain showers? Seems an unlikely scenario for success!

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:50 pm

I wqould love to watch, but have a commitment in TO that day

Tim Wood

Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 am

The day went well. Low ceilings and high winds limited the flying of the big planes but this little one flew in circles for a couple of hours collecting data for the project. Nothing like seeing an aircraft hold position directly overhead into the wind.

A gaggle of us (Tom, Bruce, Cole, Paul) would peek out on occasion, taking a break from our paint stripping of a YSY wing in the shop. A different kind of fun for both groups!

Paul Moggach