Battery Post 20190830

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Martin Sanderse
ysa membership #: 78

Battery Post 20190830

Post by Martin Sanderse » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks to those putting their problem batteries on the cabinet when they take an exchange battery. A note, like the one on the LS4 dead battery, gives me a place to start.

LS4 battery reported Dead:
Very true, very dead. Everything points to a battery left in the plane with the switches on, discharging to 10.2 volts. Battery cycled through a 4-step testing process no problems, and although some deterioration was noted from new performance because of the deep discharge, it's good to go and placed back in the pool. Good at normal discharge rates for our gliders for more than 6 hours. Discharge like this 3-4 times kills a battery for our purposes.

HQJ battery: Good for only 15 minutes under load. Out she goes!! This one didn't last long, even though it was new this year.

UZH battery: No information provided. I'm not too sure why this was exchanged. It was fully charged, and went through the load/recharge test ok. Perhaps it isn't as "pretty" as the other ones. It is however, equal to the others in function.

Fuses: Can anyone tell me why 10 amp fuses keep showing up on the batteries when maximum load for any of our aircraft is 3.5 amps when the radio is on transmit, with all equipment turned on? 5 amp fuses are supplied in the pill bottle at the exchange battery box.

What plugs into what you may ask? (or, you should ask)

1. Plugging one battery into another battery blows fuses (3 times this year)
2. Do you hear the funny buzzing noise when you plug one charger into another? (2 times this year) I didn't detect any damage to the chargers, but someone had a dead battery the next day because thier battery wasn't charged. Then, they may have to run around looking for an exchange battery, even having to swap batteries into the cursed Dittel boxes.

Note that when I come to the field, and check everything out, two or three of the batteries are still in the gliders. The QPR battery is ALWAYS in the glider.

So, if you want to find out more about the batteries the club uses, and you have a an operational concern, read these:

https://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/ ... ations.pdf
https://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/ ... Manual.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AGL :-)

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: Battery Post 20190830

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Martin, your diligence and expertise are an invaluable asset to our club.

Thank you so much.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Martin Sanderse
ysa membership #: 78

Re: Battery Post 20190830

Post by Martin Sanderse » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:18 pm

All members have to take responsibility for something, as they are able, to make York work as a club.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AGL :-)