Bronze Badge Weekend

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Bronze Badge Weekend

Post by Charles Petersen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm

We are proposing a Bronze Badge course the Saturday and Sunday, August 24th and 25th Beginning at 09:30 both days.

The Bronze Badge is additional training in the skills needed to become a cross country pilot, and to pursue On Line Contest flights, FAI Badges (Silve C, Gold and the three Diamonds), and contest flying. It is also what distinguishes a glider pilot from a soaring pilot.

It will be governed by weather, but we will have myself, Tim Wood, Tony Firmin and John Brake involved in teaching, and we will cover theory and practical, - hopefully, if the weather cooperates, classroom in the morning and flying in the afternoon. The curriculum includes Advanced Thermalling, Theory and in-air Practical, (how to stay up), Weather Forecasting, (how to pick a day for your qualifying flights), Outlanding (Plan B for X/C pilots, how to put it down safely in a field), and Flight Computers (how to set up and use one of the excellent free programs, like Top Hat, or for the unfortunates who own iPhones, iGlide (a purchase), and other topics as time and the experience and needs of the student group dictate. I have attached the curriculum for your review.

X/C adds a new dimension and excitement to your flying, and this is an assisted entry into this sometimes intimidating world.

Please respond if you would like to attend this course. There is no cost to do so, and all skill levels are welcome
Attachments
Bronze Badge 2017 PTR.doc
The Bronze Badge Skills aand Curriculum
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

jwlemke
ysa membership #: 315
twitter: jwlemke

Re: Bronze Badge Weekend

Post by jwlemke » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm

I would like to attend.