Beer Fridge... CLOSE IT or fix the problem

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
tom fraser

Beer Fridge... CLOSE IT or fix the problem

Post by tom fraser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 am

Time to ban Alcohol from the Club House except on special events. This morning , yet again, empty beer can found in open sight in Club House. There have been at least SIX warnings about this already this year.

We can not have this in a Club that FLY's and is open to the PUBLIC !!!!! It must END NOW.
Last edited by tom fraser on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivor David

Re: Beer Fridge... CLOSE IT DOWN!

Post by Ivor David » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 am

Agreed. The fridge should either be emptied today or the key taken from the key box and kept by the office manager or other responsible person. Members should also be notified that it is not appropriate to bring their own alcohol into the clubhouse.
Ivor David

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 am

Sorry Tom and Ivor
Idpnt agree with removal of the beer fridge.
I think that the beer fridge is integral nwith the social aspects of our gliding clubs operation.
Enforcement of the rule that the fridge stays locked til all aircraft are in the hangar has worked well over the years.
Keeping the clubhouse clean and tidy is a separaye issue.
Tim Wood

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:18 pm

Tim..We have tried and tried to convince our members to leave the Club clean of beer and wine bottles to NO avail. It only takes a few to spoil it and they have. You find the solution as I want it open as well.

Dennis Medland

Post by Dennis Medland » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Maybe a stiff 'deposit fee' on the bottle/can. Only refunded when the bottle/can is returned?
How does $5 feel? Might work.......

Bruce Bishop
ysa membership #: 1234

Post by Bruce Bishop » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

At minimum I would cover the glass door so public can't see the beer till you decide. General people coming into the clubhouse don't know it's locked. Not a great first impression.

I have never been in an aviation operation that has beer in view during the day. Most places have a small beer fridge out of site and out of mind.

We don't stay in the evening as there seems to be a race to go from an aviation club to drinking.

We can't cry foul if we supply the beer and it's not cleaned up. Two sided coin. Maybe that's why we are having later starts. I agree with bury the fridge.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Have we no idea of the identities of the offenders? As Tim said, it's not right that they ruin it for all the other members, and fellowship is an important aspect of the club. But it's like the kitchen mess.

So who is doing this, and what appeals/cautions/sanctions can stop them. It's so disrespectful to the club and the oth4er members
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Eine prost!

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:50 pm

It is not always beer from the fridge, beer and wine brought in from outside. I don't care about that BUT in the morning there are beer and wine bottles left in the Club area. Many times now. It can not be this way in the morning as we open to the public and Youth. Let the Board address this as I am done with it.

Drink on.

Charles Petersen

Re: Beer Fridge... CLOSE IT or fix the problem

Post by Charles Petersen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:54 am

Do we not know who's been doing this, or can we not find out? It's more appropriate to suspend clubhouse privileges for the offenders if they persist. IMO

James Kingdon

Post by James Kingdon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 am

If we have one or two repeat offenders then a serious conversation is in order. However, in a club our size, it's equally possible that it's been a different person every time and the message has simply not made it to the person involved in time. There's no question that one of the biggest challenges we have is communicating effectively to all club members.

A beer fridge has been a long standing tradition at York, and at gliding clubs around the world. I would be sad to see it go, although it hadn't occurred to me that for those that enjoy the facility there will be some who are put off by it. Clearly responsible use is mandatory and public perception is important.

Here are my suggestions, for what they are worth:

We cover over the glass door so that the contents aren't visible
We put the beer fridge on final notice
We communicate the current status with a clear message on the fridge itself so that anyone taking a beer sees what the problem is (alcohol containers left in the club house), how we want it fixed (containers must be removed from the clubhouse/public view at the end of the day) and the consequences of failure (no more beer)

For years we have managed to enjoy beer at the end of the day without problems, and there is no reason why that shouldn't continue. We either have a problem individual that needs encouragement to modify their behaviour or we have a simple communication problem that can be fixed.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 am

Well said

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:32 am

The problem is not the beer fridge. A select few members frequently leave beer bottles and wine bottles out in the public area for all to see next morning. Just a total lack of respect for the rest of us and OUR club. You guess who the offenders are. Warnings have had no effect as this has gone on six or more times.

I am done with this subject matter. Above my pay grade!

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:42 pm

When I was a strapping young lad, my parents did not have a beer fridge. That did not stop me from regularly enjoying the amber nectar.

Did anyone bring up Transport Canada's updated bottle to throttle regulation? Honestly, I'd be a LOT more concerned that all our members, including youth, strictly adhere to that, than the occasional forgotten bottle (which non-youth have also left out).

I'd say set a drinking curfew of 8pm and a no doping or intoxification rule the day before being scheduled to work or fly. Zero tolerance.

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Post by Biggles » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 am

Unfortunately has not been "occasional". Fairly consistently every morning items have to be removed or cleaned by Tom or Sarah from the clubhouse to avoid Intro's seeing evidence. The offenders were never established with certainty.

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am

So, ban alcohol (and weed) from the clubhouse area and all flight operations areas (hangars) with zero tolerance. Also make it clear that reports or incidences of drinking or doping within 12 hours of duty, or intoxication the evening before, will be reported (as it should) to Transport Canada. All students, employees should sign a contract acknowledging this. Case closed. Next issue.... there are a ton of them.

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am

Problem solved!

Just put the empties away in back room when you are done!

CHEERS

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 am

Such basic consideration for our fellow members and so little effort, why can it seem so hard?