Inform all Instructors

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Dennis Medland

Inform all Instructors

Post by Dennis Medland » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 am

I've brought this topic up before in a less formal way, but a recent conversation at the airfield, has me concerned.
I believe we need a site where instructors (only) can exchange information about our students, in a private forum.
If there is a concern with a students ability, if the student has a condition which produces a limitation, if there has been an incident at the field, if limitations have been placed on the student by the CFI; then we (instructors) all need to know about it.
It places both the student and the instructors in a less than fully knowledgeable and even possibly a dangerous position if an important piece of information is not shared; as it becomes known. Informal discussions at the airfield are not adequate to address this.
So........I'm asking, how can this be changed?? Ideas??

Ivor David

Re: Inform all Instructors

Post by Ivor David » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 am

I think an e-mail by the instructor raising the concern to all instructors is the quickest and surest way of getting the word out. They should be asked to check their e-mails regularly as I think some do not - especially the younger ones. A list of e-mail addresses is easy to prepare.

Meetings would take time to arrange and would not be attended by everyone. It has been my experience that it is a rare occurrence for all those who should be a meeting are actually there.

Other platforms - like text message may be a substitute although I don't know if all have access. (For example If I was still instructing this method would not reach me). If someone sends a text then they should send an e-mail as well. (maybe too much to hope for)
Ivor David

David Connolly
Site Admin
ysa membership #: 514

Post by David Connolly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 pm

We do have a private instructors group on the forum, click `Board Index` above ^^

Dennis Medland

Post by Dennis Medland » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:27 pm

E-mail might work, but I'm sure there would need to be a moderator and access would be only to instructors, CFI, tow pilots and not to the students or general members. The moderator would have to determine the acceptability of the comments.
I agree that meetings would not work.
Text messages would work for some; maybe everyone, I'm not sure.
Dave said:

"We do have a private instructors group on the forum, click `Board Index` above ^^"

When you say "private", what does that really mean? I can access it, but who else can? Who cannot?

Please understand that I mean to increase safety, knowledge, quality of instruction at York. This is not an effort to criticize any student, but rather it is an effort to make sure our instructors are all equally informed and up to date regarding the status of all.

James Kingdon

Post by James Kingdon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm

I can't even see that it exists, so it seems pretty private :) There is an instructors group defined, I imagine that is used to control the access:

memberlist.php?mode=group&g=11

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 am

On the forum after you sign in, and listed as an Instructor. There is a private Instructors thread that is not available to the general members. It is for the type of use you described. Sadly, it is presently not being used very much at all and our Instructor ranks are now running much too thin.

Dennis Medland

Post by Dennis Medland » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 am

OK. I haven't seen a single post on the Instructors forum for ages, so it would seem it is a tool that doesn't work simply because it isn't used. I agree with Tom; it is a sad situation if our instructors aren't informed simply because we don't communicate with one another. I can only encourage better discussion..........

Bruce Bishop
ysa membership #: 1234

Post by Bruce Bishop » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Maybe look at the PTR from the airplane instructors and transport Canada requirement.
It notes " PGI" preliminary groud briefing with notes for demonstrated and performed flight activities.

In the rear of the book an instructor is to place comments on achievements and areas that the student needs to work on for next flight.

It's a training logbook.

Worked great when I was doing instruction on heli. Kept all students info clean between instructor's.

Cole has his if interested to view.