Sad News

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Sad News

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am

Several members of York have, accompanied by Rainer Zimm, flown and/or lodged with John Weber, and we will all be very saddened to learn that John perished in a glider crash https://www.ksl.com/article/46585850/2- ... ete-county

Perhaps those who knew him have already had this news from Rainer.

It's hard to process. And it's another Arcus M :roll:
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Ivor David

Re: Sad News

Post by Ivor David » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:18 pm

I never knew John except through the stories passed on by Rainer. It was through Rainers' joint ownership with John of the Stemme S10 that I and a few others from the club got the opportunity to fly that beautiful machine. One of our flights was up to the rim of the Grand Canyon and I can tell you that was one of the most memorable flights I have ever had. That flight alone will always remind me of John Weber, even though we never met.

He was a very experienced pilot flying one of the best sailplanes in the world. As the saying goes - "What could possibly go wrong?" Well it did. It is another wake up call for all of us that experience is no guarantee of safety - it may even be a detriment. Continuous vigilance in all our flying activities is vital.
Ivor David

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:38 pm

We will never know what caused the tragic passing of John Weber and his passenger for the day. (John never charged money for ANY passenger that he agreed to take up at these fun soaring events ~ but suggested a donation to the US Junior Soaring Team would be "payment" enough). Current speculation runs along the lines of; pilot medical issue(s), poor piloting technique in variable terrain and mountain WX conditions, a micro burst (they are occurring more frequently and more severe), mechanical and/or air worthiness of the ARCUS-M, intentional suicide (?) and finally .....fate is the hunter.

Having said that ~ please ~ all of you participating in aviation - heed Ivor's words in his last paragraph which he posted above.

What I do know is I have lost my Brother in soaring who for 40 years, since meeting him at the Cu-Nim Gliding Club, was ALSO my BEST friend. We both engaged in a sport we both felt was part of our DNA. However the old cliche that he passed doing something that he loved (I've heard this way too many times since indulging in aviation at 14 years young) doesn't hold much water with me as I am sure the last 5-10 seconds of John's life as well as his passenger were TOTALLY terrorizing. I can't imagine the horror.

Perhaps my son Erich who learned to aviate successfully at York Soaring along with the likes of Jeremy Sawyer, Miguel, Kiara and so many others over the years sums up my bro John Weber in this - Erich's posting on my FACEBOOK page from yesterday.

"John was a good man that was always generous. He afforded me many flying and personal opportunities that I otherwise wouldn't have had in life and did so with the tact and earnestness of a true friend without flaunting his situation. He never forgot where he came from and worked hard to provide for others.
I still can't quite believe that he's gone"

And on that note my posting on FACEBOOK copied here as in the last 42 hours ... as sleep has not been a option for me.

Rainer Zimm is feeling heartbroken.
Yesterday at 9:45 AM ·

Well my dear Brother the last 40 years have been one HELL of a RIDE!

TIME is no longer your ENEMY ~ you can REST now.

Until we meet again..
The attachment Soaring Buds 1.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Soaring Buds 1.jpg

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:26 am

Rainer,

So sorry to hear of the loss of such an old and dear flying buddy. The flying community is so small and tight that these losses affect us so greatly. I will join you in a pint some day and we can drink to his memory.

Regards, Tom

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Roger ... that!.. ~ Tom