Temper the Clean Enthusiasm

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Temper the Clean Enthusiasm

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Phew...

Yesterday, at my request, Tim B removed the rear-armrest pocket from ZH so I can get it cleaned/repaired or replaced. Inside it, BTW, was the pitot tube extension used for inverted flight. Tim advised me he left it in the office. I couldn't locate it, and when Tim arrived, neither could he.

It was the victim of overzealous cleanup; it had been removed from the cabinet in the office and discarded into the garbage. Fortunately, the garbage had not been emptied, and we retrieved it. So, unlike a selection of kitchen implements earlier in the season, also assumed to be not worth retaining and tossed out, there was no loss.

I don't even want to speculate on the cost of a factory replacement pocket and tube.

Cleanup is good, but please, let's make sure that what we are about to discard is indeed disposable.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Re: Temper the Clean Enthusiasm

Post by Biggles » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Your point is taken Charles.

However, both the front and back office are continually used for dumping things without even a note.

Good that is was at least put in a cabinet. No idea who moved it from there.

If something is left on the desk it is just in the way, whether a parachute or a broken pencil or a half consumed coffee. Aircraft spares should be labeled and put in the back office, preferably a logical place in the 2nd cupboard, or on top of the filing cabinet that does not have batteries.

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 pm

I am happy to say that I know nothing about any of this! You are right that many items get moved, lost and placed in totally inappropriate locations. It is frustrating trying to locate moved items. Lucky this time that valuable parts were located before the garbage bin won.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:29 pm

So, in the "All's well that ends well" department, a cycle through the washing machine had a salutary effect on the cosmetics of this storage pocket, and it now looks like Image[/img]

Next, a replacement zipper, and back into the ship.

Peter Rawes undertook an examination of the radio frequency adjustment problems, (no report yet received), and took the rear seat FLARM repeater home to reattach the adjustment knob, which has, I've been told, suffered grievously from careless emplaning and deplaning with clumsy feet inflicting the injuries. Fingers crossed...

It's been hard to give it much attention as it has been in very frequent use, especially with YSK temporarily on the U/S list, awaiting the carrier pigeon from Germany with the replacement rivets.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 am

Suggestion would be a basket labelled with the A/C's registration to keep things like that in. Best kept in the big cabinet in the office. I could not find the screen/phone mount (including extension) for LSF which had always been in the plane.

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Post by Biggles » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:27 pm

We don't need another dozen baskets in the office, or a 2nd level dumping ground in the office. If members can not be responsible for whatever they remove temporarily from an aircraft, they probably are not going to walk all the way to the office either.

Please find somewhere in the hangar, pigeon holes like the batteries? or a cabinet.

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 pm

A cabinet in the hanger sounds good.

James Kingdon

Post by James Kingdon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm

That's a good idea