Portable device mounts

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Stan Martin

Portable device mounts

Post by Stan Martin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Pilots have been removing the mounts we provide for portable devises in the 500 and the LS4 instead of being folded out of the way when not needed. If they are taken off they will disappear. Sometimes they are placed in the pockets, other times they are in flight shack or just left lying around in the clubhouse generally. Bear in mind these are quality pieces of equipment and cost the club in the range of 70 dollars a unit. To the best of my knowledge two have gone missing again this year. Hopefully they turn up as they have in the past after being left in some obscure location. So please leave them on their stands. This time I will take steps to try to secure them into the aircraft with locking wire. They easily fold back onto the glare shield to be out of the way on the DG in particular.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: Portable device mounts

Post by Charles Petersen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

And we leave ballast and cushions on the ground, and they get lost or damaged.

We gotta up our respect game for the club equipment...
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Post by Biggles » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:52 am

There are random mounts in the right hand cupboard of the rear office.

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:37 am

Labelled baskets for parts temporarily removed from specific aircraft would be nice. Thanks to Stan for finding mount parts to replace the mount that disappeared from LSF. The extension is missing so the screen is quite far from the pilot's eyes. I'll buy a replacement RAM extension.

Are the balls 1" ?

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:15 am

The ones currently in the back office are for the obsolete equipment and do not fit anything current. The proper ones appear to be missing. They are most likely in the clubhouse somewhere. If they turn up take them to the office.

I have the new mounts and will install them this week.

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 am

With so many people using equipment, I understand that without guidance procedures get missed or misunderstood. I have made it a practice to point out things especially at the end of the day when people are anxious to pack the hangar.

A few common things at the end of the day: batteries left in the aircraft, covers not put on, wings not washed, weights left in, fitted cushions left out not to mention the mounts. Yesterday we found not only was the battery still in the aircraft, but the power was left on.

I feel it is the responsibility of those of us that know better to use every opportunity to teach others especially to the newer members. If not the treatment of aircraft will never advance more than the simplest common practice. And if enough of us do this and we are diligent, it will become better.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:27 am

Nothing kills a battery faster than run all the way down when left on. Next worst is not charging it after a day's use.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`