Observations at the field

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Dennis Medland

Observations at the field

Post by Dennis Medland » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:20 pm

I'd like to point out some things I've seen at the field and suggest we change........

When the cover is removed from the canopy of any aircraft.........DO NOT put it on the ground! Carefully fold it up and place it in the designated site inside the aircraft. The reasons are obvious.

If you are planning on flying a particular aircraft, then prepare it and get it on the line and commit aviation. Do not "hoard" the aircraft, waiting for just the right moment to fly. No one else can enjoy the pleasure of the use of the airplane and we don't get as much use as we should out of the equipment. I see this too much.......... Put in a card and deny use of the airplane to anyone else and maybe not fly it at all, if conditions don't develop to the liking of the member. There's got to be a better way.

If you have just launched an aircraft; get off the field! On several occasions, I've seen the launcher stand watching the airplane while there is traffic on final. Again, the reason is obvious.

end of rant.

James Kingdon

Re: Observations at the field

Post by James Kingdon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks Dennis, I know I've been guilty of at least some of those on occasion. We all try and learn, but reminders are useful and should be accepted for what they are - an attempt to make the club run better for all of us. And especially with respect to safety, we all need to be looking out for each other.