A Paved Section of Runway

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

A Paved Section of Runway

Post by Tim Wood » Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Our flying season is truncated each year by muddy field conditions at the start and the end of the season. We miss at least two months of potential operation in the average year. If we had a paved section of runway 320/140 we could capture this lost operating time. It would have a profound beneficial effect on our club. All of our activities, including training, Youth Flight activity and Freedoms Wings, cash generating intro flights, cross country flying could all be increased, perhaps by 50 %
Tom Knauf's operation (on the Pennsylvania Ridge) has a small runway that could be a guide for us. Perhaps its dimensions could be 20 ft wide x 1000 ft long, with field drains, a crushed rock base and a paved surface.

I propose that this should be at or close to the top of our development plans

This Spring has been a frustrating time for all members, eager to get flying after a long cold winter. We are suffering because of the lack of a paved surface. Lets get going.

Tim Wood

James Kingdon

Re: A Paved Section of Runway

Post by James Kingdon » Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Part of the problem of paved runway is maintaining the edges so that it doesn't become a hazard. I have wondered if we could use the sort of reinforcement embedded into the grass that you sometimes see in parking areas. It might avoid some of the maintenance issues, but I don't know how the cost compares to traditional paved runway

https://www.coregravel.ca/core-foundati ... /products/

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Fri May 31, 2019 10:58 am

If there were a way to extend the season by two months, perhaps the additional flying would significantly offset the investment - whatever the surface and/or drainage strategies were implemented. It's heartbreaking to see other clubs up and running and we're bogged out. We're looking at a 4 to 4.5 month season this year the way things are going. Fingers crossed the rain goes away soon.

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Fri May 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Most clubs in area are not doing much better. SOSA has been in the same condition, perhaps worse this season.

If you cannot move an aircraft to a paved area or land once you take to the air it does not help much. We had an example of that yesterday. Two instructors from Brampton decided it was a good idea to see what it was like to land a 172 on a grass strip. They left a gash of a 1,000 feet or so into the runway as they got pulled off the field by our tractor. Some of that was a foot deep. They are in for and extended stay.

Paving is not as important as good drainage. Drainage is another one of those capital projects that might have to be addressed.

The runway was repaired last night.
Last edited by Stan Martin on Fri May 31, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivor David

Post by Ivor David » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

While I understand the frustration of the field condition the cost of providing a paved runway is impossible for the club to even consider r. I do not have a good estimate but when you consider the practicalities of what it takes to build useful paved runway it would be well over 500K.

A few consideration- How long and how wide?. there is a proper design ratio between length and width needed. The suggested 1000 ft. (effectively 800 ft. for a tow combination) is too short, Where would you put it?
- only one aircraft can occupy a runway at a time. it would have to be kept free for an aircraft that is about to land. It would be a very restricted operation
- How would you get to and from the runway if the other areas are too soft. -- Where would you park aircraft.

A paved runway will only work if the other parts of the field used by aircraft are also suitable so unless that is built into the plans a paved runway in the middle of a soft field will be a waste of money.

Until such time that we had the funds to make it an all weather field I suggest we accept that it is potentially a 4 or 6 month season with any longer being a bonus (Seminole is our winter field for limited operation). We should concentrate of making better use of the time we have. We are now lucky if we get 3000 flights/yr. whereas the norm in the past (over 10 years ago) was 4000 with one year seeing over 6000. There is lots of opportunity to fly which most do not take advantage of now.
Ivor David

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Meh! do what we used to do in Alberta when Cu-Nim was covered with snow in the early March part of the season . Back in 1981-1984 we moved some of the tow planes to Claresholm (a 72 minutes drive back then from the southern Calgary City boundary) in the late fall along with the Blaniks and 2-33's. Private owners like myself were on their own to get their aircraft trailered down to CEJ4. Many terrific flights were had from late March to early May when ops had not started at Black Diamond (Cu-Nim's home field). The club aircraft were stored in various facilities at the airport (designed and built for the British Commonwealth Air Training Program) and stored at minimal cost from their present owners who were also aviation enthusiasts and wanted to promote their location in Claresholm.

As a first start a suggestion would be to approach the operations at https://www.edenflight.com/ (CNV8) and see what might be possible. Other similar operations/locations may also be possible. But remember it takes a team to get sailplanes into the air and flying safely. No way of getting around that.

Just say'in....

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Definitely worth investigating all the strategies.

What's with BFC anyway? Their planes are regularly creating havoc at our aerodrome. They don't appear to take phone calls seriously from our staff or members seriously. I've seen them fly through our circuit a number of times, including doing forced and precautionary approaches, no radio calls, completely blind to glider traffic arriving and departing. I spoke to their CFI last year and he insisted it wasn't his aircraft.

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 pm

Stafford has also been considered several times. The logistics of getting aircraft placed and housed there is complicated, but doable. It comes down to enough members being committed to spring flying. It would take a small group on any given day to make it viable.
Last edited by Stan Martin on Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Lightfoot

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Fri May 31, 2019 2:12 pm

Sign me up for Spring flying next year.

Rainer Zimm

Post by Rainer Zimm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:32 am

Stratford makes a LOT of sense for early spring flying ~ Stan. ;)

Great spot, low traffic volumes, lots of space and nice folks at the airport plus hangars. 8-)

Even has an readily available Civil Aviation Medical Examiner by the name of Dr. Curtis ~ "on staff"

Just say'in

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:43 am

I hear they've got a good theatre too ;)
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Rainer Zimm

Post by Rainer Zimm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes INDEED... Chuck... Cathy & I have seen Riki and your names on this commemorative plaque in front of the Festival Theatre on occasion (just a few times over the years) ~

tom fraser

Post by tom fraser » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:32 pm

JUNE 2nd.

Strong winds today helped dry out the grass greatly. I expect we can fly the heavier ships tomorrow and the ground is dry enough to place the private gliders in position on the field. Plan on being out to place your glider next weekend. Power conversion course starts tomorrow.