New Highway signage

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Stan Martin

New Highway signage

Post by Stan Martin » Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 pm

I have put a proposal to the Board to mount a new sign at the highway. It was approved in principle. If acceptable, it would be good to get it out through any of your own social media connections.
Attachments
Highway.JPG

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Re: New Highway signage

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

That's a great graphic; it conveys the dynamic action and joy.

But the rule of thumb in the ad biz is - billboards should have a maximum of 7 words. More is too much to read from a passing car.

So my recommendation is to keep the compelling first line"Experience the Adventure", but replace the next two lines with a larger font "Visitors Welcome" And I'd lose the "Association" from the "York Soaring".
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Tue May 21, 2019 3:41 pm

You are correct. People don't read highway signs. They would not read it even if it just read York Soaring, unless they where looking for it. In fact, we have two highway signs now that do that. I wonder if members have noticed those green signs at the entrance. People do notice pictures however, and pictures of people in particular. The picture is the story in this sign when it is on the highway. But, then the sign can appear in other media where words matter more. When it does, they will reinforce each other.

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm

YES INDEED!!

... blowing through Arthur to Trafalgar Road via Listowel and Wingham (to avoid the dreaded Kitchener to 427 stretch in Hog Town) on Hwy #9 a few weeks ago .. I did noticed the green HWY signage just before Garafraxa 5 & 6 heading east bound. Our TAX dollars at wurk!... ;)

Ivor David

Post by Ivor David » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Out TAX dollars at wurk !!!. We wish it was so. The signs cost us nearly $500 per year.
Ivor David

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Hey! Ivor call the Premier's office... I'm sure that he will "LISTEN"... and the Province is BROKE beyond "repair".... Just say'in

Who knew?