DG500 and LS4

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Stan Martin

DG500 and LS4

Post by Stan Martin » Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am

Although the entire fleet is general purposed, the DG500 and the LS4 have been specially equipped. The club encourages the use of these aircraft for more advanced training and use for cross country and extended flight practice. As your planning your season, do look into your options.

Cross country does not just mean heading long distances from the club. 50 or 100 km triangles are a good starting point for the pilot looking to advance their skills. Go several times around a planned course. It is a great way to learn what it takes to go on longer distances without the concern of being far from the field. It will build your skills for a longer attempts when you a ready. If you are qualified for the LS4 the Board has approved extended fight times on request for this kind of practice.

If you are not qualified for cross country flights and would like the experience, talk to a mentor. There a several of us in the list. At request the DG500 is a good choice for learning about advance instrumentation, radio work, thermalling, location awareness and other cross-country challenges. This type of learning benefits from extended flight times of 3, 4 or 5 hours in the aircraft. The DG should be available with a request in advance for this kind of experience.

Remember, the club has reduced its Group C package this year by 200 dollars to encourage extended time in club aircraft a predictable cost. Please take advantage of this if you plan to advance your piloting skills and experiences.

Alex Upchurch

Re: DG500 and LS4

Post by Alex Upchurch » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:57 am

Remember, the club has reduced its Group C package this year by 200 dollars to encourage extended time in club aircraft a predictable cost.
When will the club remember to update the Rates page on the website?

Alex

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:51 am

Group C was reduced from 1,200 to 1,000. I just checked. It seems correct.

However, the CS77 has just been sold. So that will have to be removed from the Group B.

If there was demand, the PW5 might be available in it place under Group B. That is in the hands of the flight committee and the Board.

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Post by Biggles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Block C reduced from 1070+hst to 1000+hst ... total saving $79
The website shows the correct price.

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:28 pm

It seems I misspoke. The real reduction was $70 and not the $200 I mentioned. The $200 came from another conversation about proposed increases for the year that was rejected in favor of promoting annual rental fees.

Mark Lightfoot
ysa membership #: 367

Post by Mark Lightfoot » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:35 pm

As much as I'd love to pay less, $1000 is very reasonable for Block C, IMO. The main problem in getting those planes in the air is that we are a month behind last year in getting the operation airborne thanks to the weather/field conditions. Has anyone done a comparison between 2017 & 18 for the LS4? I suspect there is a significant difference favouring 2018. Stan, Charles' and co. continuing promotion of XC and more XC group activities should increase involvement in this aspect of the sport at YSA and increase demand on our XC ships. Now, will the field just dry out already!