Hijacked!

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Hijacked!

Post by Charles Petersen » Sat May 11, 2019 7:19 am

The 2019 York Banquet was hijacked last night by a life insurance salesperson wolf in aviatrix sheep's clothing.

Our guest speaker segued from a catalogue of her flying experience into the 'magic of compound interest' and the 'rule of 72's", as we sat post-dinner in the Legion Hall in Elora. I had willingly undertaken the 3 hours + round trip drive for an opportunity to get up to date with my fellow club members, but this was to be denied by this bold hijacking. When it became clear to me what was happening, I interrupted and objected and left. Even with the premature departure, I was not home until after 10:30 pm.

How did this happen? Who chose her as our speaker? Were they aware of the nature of her presentation? The inconvenience of the venue choice and the Friday night rush hour traffic pale in comparison to this abuse.

"Lucy, you got some splainin to do"
Last edited by Charles Petersen on Sat May 11, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Re: Hijacked!

Post by Tim Wood » Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Charles ,

Next time you are facing an unacceptably late ride home from Ferus/Elora/Arthur, please feel free to stay at our house in Fergus. You would always be welcome. There is Scotch in the kitchen and beer in the garage. Free Wifi, cable TV, and many other conveniences.......

Sorry to hear about the after-dinner speech.
What a pity I wasnt at the banquet last night . I could have delivered a scintillating lecture at very short notice on my many outlandings, along with well thought-out analysis, and copiously illustrated with still pictures(in colour). I prepared this gem with considerable hard work was for delivery at a previous Banquet but it was vetoed by the club president at that time at the very last moment after I had laboured on it long and hard. He considered the subject (sight unseen) too boring for the wives of members ( or should I say spouses?). Don K hasn't called on me since!
As the famous Rochdale comic soprano of an earlier generation lamented "I took my harp to the party but nobody asked me to play".

But it was not to be, I am languishing in Naples Florida at my daughter's luxury condo.

Looking forward to the start of flying (after finishing a few cleaning jobs at the club) :roll:

Best Regards, Tim Wood

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 am

So, in the 'learn from our mistakes' category, it seems to me that a reevaluation of three questions is in order:
  • Where
  • When
  • What
Where Tony tells me that a couple of years ago he did a study, putting every club member's address into Google Maps, and it was clear that the club is Mississauga-centric. So, if the banquet is to be pre the commencement of seasonal operation, then Mississauga would be a good place to look for a venue. Or, if the banquet is later, - after flight operations have begun, then either our own clubhouse (where Tracey has demonstrated that she can organize a great banquet), or at a nearby venue located somewhere like Elora or Orangeville, would be a good choice as a stop on the way home from a day of flying (and Orangeville, in the direction of Missauga, would offer a shorter drive after to the majority of our members.

When Pre-season offers that attraction of a chance to catch-up with our flying buddies (and that was my motivation for going last Friday despite the distance and traffic), and maybe is a strat in itself. If it's after ops have begun, perhaps the day we vote would be a logical choice.

What Tim is not the only member who could be a speaker; there are many, and a few members suggested as much yesterday at the field. But, IMO, any speech during an awards banquet may be an unnecessary addition to a program of well-deserved recognition. It might, therefore, be a better idea to feature a presentation from a member, or an authority like TC, at our club dinner(s), scheduled and promoted as such.

So I hope we can turn the sneaky ambush by the life insurance salesperson into a discussion of the above, and improve the event for future years. So I invite other opinions and thoughts.

Tony Firmin

Post by Tony Firmin » Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm

OK so after the above reference I had to go back and review the evidence using the 2018 members addresses. It turns out Google and others are getting less generous in the use of their mapping services so it took a while to re-do the geolocation of the addresses. The bottom line is that averaging all the coordinates and leaving out a couple of outliers, puts the centre of membership close to Martin Sanderse backyard :)
YorkMembs2018.png

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Sun May 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Sounds like the German Club wasn't such a bad choice re. location of the banquet, in view of the fact that is close to the C of G of the membership locations..
Re Timing I would vote for a much earlier date than this year. This would break up the late winter from the point of view of an opportunity to schmooze with other pilots.
Tim

Doug Carman
ysa membership #: 437

Post by Doug Carman » Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 am

I certainly sympathised with Charles and his dramatic announcement and exit. Situations similar in the past caused my interest in the banquet to disappear. The big thing with a gathering such as this is socializing with fellow members, and perhaps meeting and talking to those we know very little of. When the announcements and awards and possibly some crap presentation take up all the time, and we are stuck sitting at a table with only 6 of the members of our club, the evening is frittered away with no socialization.
I would recommend a format where the socializing is the main event and the rest is relegated to secondary. Awards are interesting, but usually miss all the recognition of hard working members whose names just don't come up. We don't need to be lectured about anything. The news is available here, so why yak about it at a dinner? If a guest speaker is coming, why isn't that advertised in advance so we can choose to avoid it? The instructors and tow pilots meeting is more interesting than any of the lectures I heard at a banquet, and it was free! So was the instructor refresher!
In the days of no internet, forums, email, websites etc., the banquet was THE way of hearing about what was coming up this season and what had happened last season. Not any more.
I also agree that if we are planning a social pre-season, that mid winter would be fine, since many of us have been out of touch for a few months.

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Mon May 13, 2019 10:16 am

It is time that we had new members step forward for the many things that are required. Sometimes you get what you pay for. It is no secret that the few that do much can get burned out and things fall through the cracks.

We now have new bylaws. There will be fewer Board members. That means more things must fall to committees. I am sure many can do an excellent job of organizing and getting things done. I encourage everyone that wants to see better from the club, step forward, take charge and show us good things.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 pm

It was worse than I thought!

Our speaker was selling a pyramid scheme, or, as the industry prefers to call itself Multi-Level Marketing. Think Avon for a rather benign version, or Mary K for a less benign one. Or Herbalife. They are not so much selling their 'product' as recruiting you to sell their product, - which is recruiting others to sell others, etc.

How did I learn this? I had lunch with a retired insurance company executive and friend, and when I described the experience but couldn't remember the company he suggested Primerica. That was it, said I, and he said pyramid scheme; Google Arthur L Williams. He shook up the industry with his Primerica, - for a while until it hit the limits of pyramid selling.

How does it work? Our guest speaker will give you the picture of a wealthy future by just recruiting others to 'sell', say 6 others, and you will get an override commission on everything they sell. And then they recruit 6 more each and you also get a diminished override commission on their sales. But, if you want to learn something more amazing than compound interest, run it out a few generations. Take the 6 you recruit, and multiply that by 6, so now there are 36 people selling under you. Next level it's 216, then 1296, 7776. 46,656. 279,936, 1,676,616, then some 10 million, and 60 million, and oops, that's more than the population of Canada.

So 10 levels is impossible. And how many levels are there above our Guest Speaker? Well, we know who's at the top: Arthur L. And in 2008 he was worth 1.4 billion dollars.

Now, he wasn't all bad; he sold term life insurance rather than whole life. But the sales organization is an evil scheme.

Am I being alarmist? Google this and judge for yourself. But whatever you decide, we was had!

Rainer Zimm
ysa membership #: 256

Post by Rainer Zimm » Fri May 17, 2019 1:42 pm

SADLY!... "GUANO HAPPENS" daily & even Conrad Black got pardoned... by Herr Trump.... Le sigh! :roll: