Drones - Summary of Use

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Tony Firmin

Drones - Summary of Use

Post by Tony Firmin » Sun May 05, 2019 11:42 am

Now for something completely different.

Attached is a one page summary of Transport Canada rules for Drones. Note the lower limit above which these rules apply is 250g or 1/2 lb. A popular $1000. drone, the DJI Mavic 2 weighs 907g or 2lbs. The restriction re aerodromes applies to Walter's Field.
Attachments
rules-recreational-drones.pdf
(4.97 MiB) Downloaded 28 times

Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Re: Drones - Summary of Use

Post by Paul Moggach » Mon May 06, 2019 9:42 am

For emphasis, under the current conditions they cannot be operated at our airport. I have had some discussions with some neighbours about this as well. We are a licenced aerodrome and so the 5.6 km rule applies to us. We also cannot arbitrarily decide not to be an aerodrome at certain times of the day or year so these restrictions apply whether we are operating or not.

Paul Moggach

James Kingdon

Re: Drones - Summary of Use

Post by James Kingdon » Mon May 06, 2019 10:29 am

As it happens, I have an interest in the design, build and flight of small RC models. The regulations for these things are set out in CARs part IX and are extremely onerous above the 250g limit. Each model must be registered, marked with it's registration, the owner/operator must hold a Pilot Certificate for Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft and flight has to comply with the many restrictions that make up a large part of the regulations. Slightly bizarre is the total lack of definition of the class of models that are less than 250g. The number is specified in the interpretations section, 101.01:

"small remotely piloted aircraft means a remotely piloted aircraft that has a maximum take-off weight of at least 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 25 kg (55 pounds);"

As best as I can interpret the CARs, the only restriction that applies to this "not a small remotely piloted aircraft" category is the following which precedes any section that restricts itself to a specific defined class of RPAS:

900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

I have heard that the intention of the 250g minimum is to allow a largely unregulated space that covers the majority of models that you'd find at Walmart or CT in the kids toys section. It's worrying that you will find some models in there that are over the 250g limit with no warning of the serious restrictions that come with it. I hope that changes when the regulations take effect on June 1 but I doubt it will.

It's worth noting that while all the bad press is around the mis-use of multi-rotor wingless aircraft (i.e. what people think of as 'drones'), the law does not differentiate amongst model types and applies to all RC aircraft.