Kitchen Update

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Mark Araujo

Kitchen Update

Post by Mark Araujo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Tim Wood and I tackled the kitchen today. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe the job. The fridges were top to bottom full of moldy food from last summer - 7 garbage bags worth. There was also numerous camp rubbermaid totes were full of food. We got about 70% of the cupboards cleaned. Rodents got into almost everything that was left - including most of the spices. If you had food in any of those places it is now gone.

I took the liberty of sorting the years worth of Tupperware containers and dish odds and ends. There are two boxes on the floor, have a look incase anything in there that is something of yours. Anything left in two weeks will be disposed of. Warning, a lot of the stuff was full of rodent crap/urine. There was also about 400 pieces of cutlery spread out over numerous cabinets, I sorted the best, filled two draws and added the rest to the disposal pile.

We pulled out both stoves, scrubbed all four sides plus the walls and floors under it, vacuumed up all the rodent mess and reinstalled. Next week the interiors will need to be cleaned. Has any one seen this missing oven door handle?

The place smells a bit better but stills needs more work.
20190422_154447.jpg
20190422_153805.jpg
20190422_154143.jpg
Mark Araujo / Waterloo, Ontario

Stan Martin

Re: Kitchen Update

Post by Stan Martin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks guys. A monumental task. It has been bad before, but this one set a new record.The amount of garbage that was left to rot over winter was tragic. It seems the answer to garbage collection was to increase the number of garage pails exponentially and scattered them about the clubhouse evenly. Fill one and put another one in.Very disappointing. Furthermore, in cleaning out the offices, it was clear there was a number of items just taking up space. How much can you jam into one small room. I guess it was a challenge. Long since time a culling took place. It will now.

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 am

If anyone knows where the Tavelli g Trophy is please contact me od Stan or Don K
Thanks
Tim Woody

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:13 am

Seems that, with the upcoming bylaws and structure update, the formation of a House Committee would be a wise inclusion, no?
They will soar on wings like eagles - Isaiah 40:3`

Doug Carman
ysa membership #: 437

Post by Doug Carman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 am

You guys should get a trophy at the banquet. What a job! I thought I got dirty working on the tugs on Sunday!! Nothing like your job.
We need to look at tighter supervision of kitchen use. Having the camps students cook in the chicken coop in the old days looks like a great idea now. They had to live with their mess, and it all got cleaned out at the end of their camp.

Dennis Medland

Post by Dennis Medland » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 am

Tim and Mark,
Many thanks for doing a job which we all find disgusting. It should never get that way, but we know it does.............every year! I like Charles' idea of a House committee, but I suspect that will become just a "cleaning crew", unless we all make an effort. A clean-out at the end of the season would help and if there's beer left in the fridge..........well, it'll have to be taken care of too..........perhaps at no charge? With some free burgers?
(after all is cleaned of course)

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm

The state of the kitchen described by Mark is no exaggeration. Mark and I wore heavy duty rubber gloves and touched nothing with our bare hands. 50 litres of hot water was kindly provided by Home Hardware of Arthur.
My suggestion is that the day each year that the aircraft are packed into the hangars, marking the end of flying, should be the same day that the club house is thoroughly cleaned, perhaps by professionals, all edibles removed to the municipal dump, -off our property(*), and closed for the winter. By this simple organizational action, we will not get a repeat of this year's situation.

The health aspects of this winter's rat infestation need to be considered. The whole kitchen area was covered in rat droppings. I know from personal experience that this can lead to serious infections. The question is how do we now make the kitchen area a "safe space" for our members?

(*) leaving old food in a dumper on our property should be avoided at all costs. So, unwanted food from club house to our own dumper is not an option

On a lighter note, there is no snow and not much roadway mud left at the field. We just need drying weather and flying could begin

Hurray,

Tim Wood

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Solutions are available.

Clutter is a problem. It invites more clutter. Resist the urge to clutter.

Donations continue to be a problem. Most go unused. Resist the urge to bring things to the field unless it has been cleared in advance. Also, stop expecting large items left at the dumpster to be taken away. Club members should not expect other club members to deal with it. Take it to the municipal dump yourself.

Lets not bring more and more garbage pails into the clubhouse. That just makes the issue worse.

There is no garbage pixie. If you see an something needs doing, as a member you are encourage to do something about it. Take initiative or encourage others to help you get this sorted.

Demand the clubhouse to be clean and comfortable. It a culture worth promoting. Also remember many hands make work easy. So lend a hand.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 pm

First the Tooth Fairy, then Santa, and now no Garbage Pixie!

David Connolly
Site Admin
ysa membership #: 514

Post by David Connolly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Not all hero's wear capes! We are all in your debt, thank you for taking on this awful task. Thank you so much.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 am

I don't know Dave, - I think they might add a little colour in capes...

But seriously guys, add my profound thanks to those already rendered.

Charles