Techniques to Centre a Thermal

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Techniques to Centre a Thermal

Post by Charles Petersen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

I have added this file to the Piloting Files folder in the Archive section of this Forum
BGA Thermalling Advice.pdf
Centring A Thermal - British Gliding Association
(229.05 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
​Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight.... do not go gentle into that good night. - Dylan Thomas

James Kingdon

Re: Techniques to Centre a Thermal

Post by James Kingdon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks Charles. It's the eternal mystery, and another read is always welcome.

I thought I was going to learn it by watching other pilots, but when I tried to do so I discovered that they use some sort of magic. :) There seem to be two rules of thumb that pan out over the years; 1) soggy Ontario thermals aren't very big, 2) the best lift will be found as you leave the thermal, having spent 20 minutes climbing in the weak stuff.

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:19 am

And even when you think you have the hang of it, you see a master like Dave Springford just smoke even the elite. So much to learn, and a challenge to both the left and right hemisphere or your brain.

You can learn something every flight, and should make it your goal to do so. Sharing a flight in the 500 is something I'd recommend; each pilot can discuss, and share, and learn, and especially if you can get a flight with an experienced pundit, you'll learn faster.
​Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight.... do not go gentle into that good night. - Dylan Thomas

Tim Wood
ysa membership #: 391

Post by Tim Wood » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 am

Some of the best-looking and most reliable thermals will be found on the downwind leg. Don't be tempted- they are only good for half a turn, you break all the rules if you get suckered, and you will make the pilot behind you very mad!
Tim