Sugarbush Soaring

General Discussion Board. Public access. The opinions expressed here may not reflect official York Soaring policies and procedures. Posts deleted after 240 days.
John Brake
ysa membership #: 132

Sugarbush Soaring

Post by John Brake » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:09 pm

I'm trying to arrange and find interest for this year's trip to Sugarbush, VT for some great ridge and wave soaring.

Proposed week is 13-21 October. We generally travel on the Saturday and stay at the Battleground Condos for the week, heading home on the Sunday.

So, who's up for it? Let me know (real soon!!) so I can discuss suitable accommodations at the condo.

It's going to be a great trip, you won't want to miss it.
John

Peter Rawes

Re: Sugarbush Soaring

Post by Peter Rawes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Yes please. I would love to join in this year's expedition.

John Brake

Post by John Brake » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:36 am

I'll mark you down, Peter!
John

Jock
ysa membership #: 351

Post by Jock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:19 am

See what is going on at Sugarbush in real time ;

The view of the Warren-Sugarbush airport facing southwest from the terminal building. It is refreshed once per minute during daylight hours.
Watch for launching and landing gliders! LINK

This is a view of the Mad River Valley facing west from the east ridge. It is refreshed once per minute during daylight hours. Watch for gliders in the sky! LINK

Wayne Hewison
ysa membership #: 32

Post by Wayne Hewison » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am

All;

First day weather was good and we were able to get all of our field checks completed. Both the 500 anf the K-21 flew but the flights were short. Not much wave activity. Last night we had a big dinner with the Great Lakes group. Today's forecast does not look good. I have included a dropbox link with some photos that I will upddated during the couse of the week.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ca6zp2jw732 ... RvSGa?dl=0

...Wayne

Wayne Hewison

Post by Wayne Hewison » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:35 am

All;

Early this morning the forcast looked good for a wave day. When we arrived at the field we we greeted by CFI Tom Anderson who gave us the local weather update, and it was not good. Heavy rotor below the wave with stong upper winds. We will return after noon hour to reassess the situation. I have updated the dropbox link already posted in this thread with new pics from last nights dinner hosted by the Great Lake group and pics from the Sugarbush airfield this moring.

...Wayne

Charles Petersen
ysa membership #: 150

Post by Charles Petersen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 am

How about an update for those of us 'enjoying' the cold windy grey weather here in Ontario?

And a list of the 2018 attendees? And more photos Wayne?
​Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight.... do not go gentle into that good night. - Dylan Thomas

Dennis Medland

Post by Dennis Medland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 am

Yes, I agree Charles. I have been checking the airfield camera for activity and I've seen the photos in Dropbox........all good. I don't recognize some of the people in the pics, however. I see you have a tiny future pilot there as well!

We are living vicariously through all of you there in Vermont given the weather here.
On the other hand................"Get high and stay high" is now legal in Canada.......... No glider required!

Best of luck with the weather in Vermont.

John Brake

Post by John Brake » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm

There hasn't been anything to report...

Monday: Rain; no flying
Tuesday: High winds; no flying
Wednesday: Low clouds, high winds, hail; no flying

We're hoping for flying on Thursday and Friday.
John

Wayne Hewison

Post by Wayne Hewison » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Another no-fly day with overcast skys, rain and hail. I posted some additional pics that you can access via the link in this thread. The group from Great Lakes Gliding includes Tom Robertson, Jack Mika, David Philip, Kris Karpinski along with Angus Ryer, his wife Emily and their infant son Issac. From YSA we have myself, John Brake, Stan Martin, Tom Bistriki, Peter Rawes, Ken Ashworth and Tim Wood with his wife Jackie. Sorin from SOSA was also present but has left early. The forecast for tomorrow looks better but very cold. Stay tuned.

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks, Wayne. That satisfies the curiosity and cures the envy.

Hi to all, and I hope today you get a great one.
​Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight.... do not go gentle into that good night. - Dylan Thomas

Wayne Hewison

Post by Wayne Hewison » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Another no-fly day with high winds aloft and heavy cloud cover with snow. Based on the current weather forecast tomorrow may be our last possible day for flying and it looks good. Saturday appears to be a write-off. Added an extra pic of all of us in the Sugarbush clubhouse listening the CFI Tom Anderson talk about the weather conditions and other things. That's it for now, back to the Chalet for some drinks.

John Brake

Post by John Brake » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:36 am

Friday, 19th... we FLY !!!

Every flight got up into the wave, with the flights in the 13k-14k range. John flew his glider to 16,179', here's the trace:
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/g ... Id=6935972

We finished flying as the sun was going down behind the mountains... about 1/2 before sunset, but it was still getting dark on the ground. Finished derigging in full dark.

Everyone was happy and a tired.

Saturday is still an "iffy" day, might be too windy to fly and there's a chance of showers. The club's closing dinner is tonight and we'll be in attendance.
John

Biggles
ysa membership #: 269

Post by Biggles » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 am

Great, glad something positive coming from the trip!

Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 am

I think that, for the pilots who made the trip, it was positive from when they departed. Even if they had been unable to fly, not unlike soaring, it's the journey itself that is the destination. A great flight is a bonus, and the altitude gain Gold and Diamond badge legs were, for me, the hardest ones to achieve.

I have friends that like to go to a fishing camp, and one of them doesn't like to taste of fish. Another guy I knew, he went to a hunting camp, but always, when rarely he got a deer in his sights, made sure to miss; - he just wanted to be there, not to kill a deer.

So John's achievement was the proverbial icing on the cake. But the fellowship they shared, - ah yes...

Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm